West Virginia (L) – Playing the 3-4 for the first time vs an experienced QB will prove to be a challenge. 14-31 (0-1)
East TN State (W) – First win the CJP era. 34-13 (1-1)
UTEP (W) – Vols benefit from excellent early season scheduling. 31-7 (2-1)
Florida (W) – In the first sign that the Butch Jones era is over, Vols win over Gators set Knoxville into a frenzy. 24-20 (3-1)
Georgia (L) – On the road against arguably the best in the SEC. Tough loss, but growth showing. 13-27 (3-2)
Auburn (L) – Back to back road games and back to back losses. Competitive but not enough. 21-31 (3-3)
Alabama (L) – Vols will get there, but not this year. Tide too much in this one. 17-34 (3-4)
South Carolina (W) – Road SEC wins are tough to come by and this one is no different. A special win for the Vols. 28-27 (4-4)
Charlotte (W) – Win going away. 44-7 (5-4)
Kentucky (W) – One thing that will endear Vol nation to this coaching staff – wins over the usual suspects. 34-27 (6-4)
Missouri (W) – Vols will not stub their toes to any team with a Dooley on the sideline. 27-21 (7-4)
Vanderbilt (W) – Closing out the season with 5 straight wins will have the fan base singing Rocky Top and help seal up a solid recruiting class. 27-14 (8-4)
Bowl Game: Music City
Bring on the ridicule!
UT v. WVU (9/1/18):
WVU wins. They have no defense so it’s going to stay ridiculously close the entire game. The fans will get their hopes up by only trailing a touchdown for the majority of the game, but will overall be defeated within the last 5 minutes of the game. Grier is going to throw for about 500 and WVU is likely score 5+ touchdowns. They win by 7, possibly 9.
UT v. ETSU (9/8/18):
UT wins. It’s the first home game and Neyland is going to be lit because of the new coaching staff. UT wins by 17 because ETSU can’t keep up or play in an environment like Neyland. Easy win.
UT v. UTEP (9/15/19):
UT wins. This game will be closer than fans would like. Its a noon game and everyone will expect the win, including the staff. UT wins by 9, maybe 7 if they are really unlucky.
UT v. Florida (9/22/18):
UT wins. This won’t be an easy game by any means. Neyland will be rocking, though. The first half is going to be good competition, but Vols will look like the clear favorite. 3rd is going to wreck. Florida will get the best of the defense and the fans are going to start letting it sink in that Pruitt might actually lose to Florida at home in year one. Vols pull it out though to secure the win in the 4th. UT wins by 3.
UT v. Georgia (9/29/18):
UGA wins. There won’t be much competition in this game. I mean, they aren’t getting blown out by 40, but they also aren’t staying within a touchdown. Vols will be lucky if they only lose by 14.
UT v. Auburn (10/13/18)
Auburn wins. While, the bi couldn’t come at a better time, its not going to help as much as it needs for Vols to win this. They are going to be exhausted still coming off Florida and playing UGA in Athens. Vols will stay close and Auburn won’t completely over power them, but overall, they lose by 9.
UT v. Alabama (10/20/18)
Bama wins. We all know how much pressure is on this game especially it being in Neyland. Regardless, Vols just don’t have enough yet to compete with Alabama. Pruitt defense won’t be completely blown out, but Alabama wins by at least 17.
UT v. South Carolina (10/27/18)
UT wins. This is going to be the first heart attack game of the season for fans. It’s going to be too close and we will all still feel the pain from the absolutely stupid loss in Neyland last season. UT somehow pulls this win out by 3.
UT v. Charlotte (11/3/18)
UT wins. Team finds its groove and there’s no competition. They won’t blow them out entirely because they won’t need to give their all for a win, but the game will still seem like a breeze. UT wins by 14.
UT v. Kentucky (11/10/18)
UT wins. Vols are going to be out for revenge after last season. No way they allow Kensucky to come into Neyland and get a W. They secure a win by 14 +
UT v. Missouri (11/17/18)
Mizzou wins. It’s going to be a game the Vols for sure could win but they are going to be burnt out and no way they win all 4 SEC games from USC to the end of the season, so personally, I feel like this one is the “best” one to lose. Mizzou gets them by 7.
UT v. Vanderbilt (11/24/18)
UT wins. Pruitt will be a true Vol and won’t allow the disgrace of losing to Vandy. Vandy will be exposed as the trash they are and UT fans will run Nashville (Neyland pt. 2) per usual and all will be right in the rivalry. UT by 17.
West Virginia 38, Vols 17, loss
West Virginia – loss
East Tn state – win
UTEP – win
Florida – win
Georgia – loss
Auburn – loss
Alabama – loss
South Carolina – win
Charlotte – win
Kentucky – win
Missouri – loss
Vandy – win
7-5 plus a bow win. 8-5 total
WVU = W
WVU – W
ETSU – W
UTEP – W
Florida – W
UGA – L
Auburn – L
Alabama – L
SC – W
Charlotte – W
UK – W
Missouri – W
Vandy – W
I’m an idiot,
I have mixed emotions about the upcoming season. The 2017 season was the first time I haven’t attended a game in Neyland Stadium since I was five years old. Butch Jones took the most exciting and fun time of my year and destroyed it.
It’s hard to be optimistic about the upcoming season based on what I saw at the end of the 2016 season and through this past season, but here is my prediction.
Vols – 24 WVU – 34
Vols – 42 ETSU – 17
Vols – 28 UTEP – 21
Vols – 20 UF – 28
Vols – 17 UGA – 38
Vols – 27 Auburn – 34
Vols – 10 Bama – 42
Vols – 34 USC – 31
Vols – 52 Charolette – 24
Vols – 28 UK – 17
Vols – 34 Mizzou – 41
Vols – 24 Vandy – 17
Final record 6-6 with a Belk Bowl bid to play a shitty ACC team. JG remains the starter throughout the year. Top 15 recruiting class keeps us interested for 2019. Lord help coach JP & Staff it’s going to be a rollercoaster.
WVU 38-17 L
ETSU 40-14 W
UTEP 34- 13 W
UF 24-20 L
UGA 38-13 L
Auburn 30-17 L
Alabama 44-10 L
SC 27-24 L
Charlotte 40-17 W
UK 31-28 W
Missouri 35-26 L
Vandy 28-21 W
South Carolina. L
ETSU – Win
UTEP – Win
Florida – Win
Georgia – Loss
Auburn – Loss
Alabama – Loss
USC jr – Win
Charlotte – Win
UK – Win
Mizzou – Win
Vandy – Win9-3. Plus win the bowl game.
West Virginia – W (UT usually shows up for no conference openers)
West Virginia 30 Vols 21- close game till 4th quarter
Tennessee 52 ESTU 3
Tennessee 48 Utep 9
Tennessee 24 Florida 23- Cimaglia kicks gw fg from 45+
Georgia 37 Vols 17 – Vols keep it within two scores but never really have any chance
Vols 19 Auburn 17 – Stidham goes down with an injury Vols win an ugly one.
Alabama 27 Vols 7 – Bama dominates entire game but doesn’t quite ever put the foot on the gas
South Carolina 20 Vols 16 – Will Muschump gets one of his final victories over UT for a while
Tennessee 52 Charlotte 0
Tennessee 35 Kentucky 19- Kentucky thinks they finally broke through with their W last year, everyone laughs.
Mizzou 33 Vols 26 – Missouri’s offense outlasts Tennessee in somewhat of a shootout. Dooley finally experiences what it’s like to win a collegiate football game in Neyland
Tennessee 28 Vanderbilt 17 – Tennessee beats Vandy and Kentucky again. Everything makes sense again. Life is good.
Vols finish 7-5 (4-4)
WV- 49-35 L
South Carolina: Loss
Vanderbilt: WinRecord: 7-5
Ty Chandler – 1,000+ Rushing Yds
Jauan Jennings – 100+ receiving YPG
Random Fan Predictions
1. Alabama doesn’t make SEC championship game nor playoffs.
1. Jarrett Guarantano will take a big step forward in his development under Tyson Helton. Guarantano is clearly a good athlete and has incredible arm strength. Up to this point he hasn’t had a coach capable of taking his game to the next level. Tyson Helton has a long history of developing QBs and extracting every bit of talent out of them and I believe he will do the same with Guarantano.
2) Tennessee will beat Florida, South Carolina, or Missouri and Juan Jennings will lead the band to Rocky Top.
3) the Tennessee DBs will go from being a weak link at the start of the season to a team strength by the end of the season.
1) Madre London rushes for north of 1,000 yards.
2) Neither Marquez Callaway nor Jauan Jennings lead the team in receiving yardage.
-Shy Tuttle & Nigel Warrior will be voted 1st team all SEC D
-TN will beat Auburn & lose to Missouri
-Alontae Taylor will have a kickoff return & punt return for a TD in the same game
1. Warrior 1st or 2nd Team All SEC Defense
2. Chandler 1,200+ rushing yards
3. Cimaglia beats GA at whistle
– Starting QB by game four wont be Guarantano or Chryst
– Defense will finish in top 4 Of SEC
– Vols will upset a ranked SEC team
Not so bold…Vols will finish ahead of Gators in the East.
Vols go 3-1 against Bama, Gators, Auburn, Dawgs
Vols finish 2nd in east
Top 5 in sec total defense
2.) We beat WVU USC jr. and Florida by a combined 10 points
3.) Bituli will be top 3 in the SEC in tackles**Honorable Mention: Trey Smith is 1st team All-sec and 1st team All-American. Not sure how “bold” that is.
1. There will be a sellout crowd at Neyland in November.
2. There will be exciting games for the right reasons, but some very boring press conferences.
1. Nigel Warrior and Ty Chandler will be All Americans
2. Dominick wood Anderson will lead team in overall receiving yards
3. Tennessee brings back the black outlines on numbers for throwbacks
1. Michigan finally beats Ohio State
2. Buckshot Calvert leads the nation in TD passes
3. Ed Orgeron is fired before they play Arkansas in November
2. Mizzou wins 8 games
3. I become an alcoholic at the age of 19 because we lose to WVU, UGA, Auburn, Bama, Mizzou, and SC
2) We will start 4-0.
3) We will end up 2nd in the East.
2. Tennessee will play Alabama close (and possibly win)
3. Tennessee will win 8 games
1. Vols Make an upper-tier bowl (Such as the Outback) and win it to get to 9 wins.
1. Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway will combine for more than 30 TDS…..from within the redzone.
2. Ty Chandler will rush for over 1500 yards and finish 1st in the SEC in that category.
3. Nigel Warrior will be named first-team all-American after a 14 interception, triple digit tackle, double digit TFL season.
This isn’t a prediction, but I honestly believe everyone is devaluing us, based solely on what happened last season. That’s fair and all, but do they not remember what happened with the basketball team lol. I hope we prove everyone wrong. I also believe they’ll beat West Virginia and will beat Florida
2.) UT beats Florida
3.) Dominick Anderson will have 500+ receiving yards
-Tennessee beats Auburn
-Tennessee’s defense leads the East in takeaways.
-Tennessee has 9 wins heading into bowl season
2. We will win 4 straight games to begin the year.
3. We will finish top 5 in the country at recruiting.
1. Jarrett Guarantano starts game #1.
2. Among South Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy, and Missouri, Tennessee will win 3 out of those 4.
3. The Vols are back in a bowl game.
1. Both UT offense and defense will improve scoring average by at least 6 points a game. Vols scored 19.83 ppg last year and gave up 29.08 ppg last year. It will be close to even this year.
2. Vols will improve per-game rushing by at least 33 yards per game. Last year, Vols averaged 117.4 yards on the ground. This year, we’ll rush for at least 150 yards per game.
3. Vols will increase 3rd-down conversion by at least 33 percent. Last year, Vols converted 30.67 percent on 3rd down. This year, we’ll get at least 40 percent.
1. The Vols will beat Florida by 10+ points
2. Ty Chandler will rush for over 800 yards
3. Todd Kelly will have 4+ INT’s
1. Latrell Williams leads the SEC in yards per catch (min. 10 catches) and it’s over 25 yards/deception.
2. Jarrett Guarantano starts all twelve (regular season) games and is a consensus top 5 SEC QB
3. Daniel Bituli gets first round draft grades at the end of this year