The world used to think Jon Reed was just that guy without a shirt who yelled about Florida going to hell. No longer.
Reed, our very own lead investigative reporter, took a friend down to the TAC Air terminal at McGhee Tyson Airport to follow up on rumors that Tennessee administrators, boosters or possibly even the white whale Jon Gruden himself were on a flight coming back from Tampa.
Needless to say, Jon’s Periscope experience could. not. be. topped.
Once Jon went live, fans literally started showing up in the parking lot to get in on the action. He called in to The Drive and kept Chance from convincing him from going into the lobby, he gave updates on potential car owners and had the so-called Pilot Plane in his camera view for the entire end of his stream.
Ultimately, no white wales or notable folks were spotted, but it’s all about the journey and not the destination.
- When asked about John Brice/Grant Ramey’s report vs. Jimmy Hyams tweet: “Jimmy Hyams is a moron! Of course I side with John Brice and Ramey.”
- At one point, some dude starts yelling at him, to which Jon responds “YOU’RE GONNA BLOW MY COVER, KEEP GOING! I’M UNDERCOVEEER!” (17:50. You’re welcome.)
- As the “Pilot Plane” sat near Jon, some of the stream’s comment section were begging Jon to go to the fence. Jon did not go to the fence. #NotMyFence
- Finally, when people came out of the hangar to leave on the plane, Jon realized he’d been distracted from the real tricks. “WE’VE BEEN DUPED! WHERE’S THE OTHER PLANE! ABORT! THEY PULLED THE SWITCH!”
For all of your quality coaching search days, make sure you keep up with us and Jon.
Developing story: 4,500 people watching this Periscope in the hopes that it proves Jon Gruden will be the next coach at Tennessee https://t.co/4ryypagtY6
— SB Nation CFB (@SBNationCFB) November 16, 2017
WE’VE BEEN DUPED
— Marcus Ardel Taulauniu Mariota (@_BlakeTucker) November 16, 2017
— John Monroe (@MinisterofD) November 16, 2017
LOOK AT WHAT YOU’VE DONE TO US JON GRUDEN. 4K PEOPLE STRONG ON A PERISCOPE THAT’S LOOKING AT AN AIRPORT HANGAR. CAN YOU IMAGINE GAME DAY??? YOU’RE A FOOL IF YOU DON’T SIGN.
— Janna Abraham (@SportsPundette) November 16, 2017
Watching Jon Reed’s Periscope from the Knoxville airport is better than the OJ white Bronco chase. 😂
— Ben Garrett (@benwgarrett) November 16, 2017
In news unrelated to anything, I’d just like to point out that nearly 3k Vol fans are watching a random dude’s Periscope from an airport parking lot in Knoxville to see if Jon Gruden is flying in on a Tennessee donor’s private plan. NO ONE does a coaching search like the Vols.
— Tom Benning (@tombenning) November 16, 2017
“THEY SWITCHERUED US, DAMMIT!!!”
– @Jon__Reed on the scene at the airport
— Nate Hodges (@NateWKGN) November 16, 2017
I’M CRYING!! https://t.co/1kOeN8AQ6J
— Houston Kress (@VolRumorMill) November 16, 2017