The Tennessee Volunteers football team was back on the practice field today as they prepare for their first game against Georgia Tech on Sept. 4 in Atlanta. Here are some of my quick observations in today’s practice report.
- The overall energy seemed to be really high. Today was probably the most vocal I’ve ever seen Butch Jones and he was all over the receivers if they dropped any passes
- Quinten Dormady and Jarrett Guarantano both looked solid throwing intermediate and deep balls
- The running backs drew a lot of praise from Robert Gillespie. I thought all three freshmen were looking good in pass catching drills and block shedding
- Walt Wells was really working the offensive line to make sure they were doing drills perfectly
- Freshmen receivers Josh Palmer and Jordan Murphy both continue to show flashes. Jauan Jennings, Marquez Callaway, Josh Smith and Tyler Byrd all looked solid as well
- Ty Chandler and Carlin Fils-aime appeared to be switching in and out in terms of getting second reps behind John Kelly, who was looking pretty explosive in various drills
- Mike Canales got involved with some QB drills and was throwing some dimes on fade routes
- Freshman cornerback Shawn Shamburger had his black stripe removed
Overall, I think the Vols had a good practice today, at least from what we saw in four periods. The energy seems to have really picked up within the last week, since the first game against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets is now less than three weeks away.
As practice occurred, news broke that Georgia Tech starting B-back Dedrick Mills was kicked off the Yellow Jackets’ team for a violation of team rules, which is some good news for the Vol defense as that’s one less starter they’ll have to worry about. I’m sure Bob Shoop and Brady Hoke will be just slightly relieved to hear that.
Tennessee will return to the practice field Saturday and Sunday with media availability to be determined.